Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Depression, Anxiety and Zentangle

Hey there tangling friends!

It is Mental Health Awareness Week this week and I wanted to share a bit of my story with you. I've suffered with depression, anxiety and post natal depression for the best part of 20 years and I'm currently struggling with crippling anxiety. It keeps me awake. It makes me exhausted. It keeps me stuck at home. It robs me of joy, friendships, being able to do activities with my children, being able to go to church...the list is endless. 

The stigma attached to mental health issues seems to be lifting a little, but it's still really scary to put this out there - to tell the world how I feel (although, depression takes away the ability to feel anything.) You might remember my word for this year is Courage, so this is my bit of bravery which will hopefully encourage others to open up about their own mental health. 

There is hope and there is help. I have had happy times in the last 20 years, times when I wasn't on medication, so I know I can be well again. I have to remember that This Too Shall Pass. 

I have found Zentangle profoundly important over the last few years - I find peace in the pen strokes and comfort in the shading. My worries and fears cannot find head space whilst I'm in the Zen of drawing. 

The first drawing is one that I've done today and the others are old ones - all with quotes that really resonate with me. 



N

 









This website has so much useful and helpful information - Blurt

The Samaritans are always available in a crisis - Samaritans Contact Info

Here's the link to the official Zentangle page - Zentangle Method

















5 comments:

  1. Melissa! You truly are courageous. Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope it gives others the courage to share and overcome their depression and anxiety. I never would've guessed you struggle with these very real issues. I now know how important Zentangle is for you, and how powerful this meditative process can be. Giant hugs across the miles my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your love Barb. It's very easy to hide behind a mask, especially on social media. I do hope it helps someone pick up a pen and keep going one stroke at a time.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. I struggle with mental illness also. You said,"It keeps me stuck at home. It robs me of joy, friendships, being able to do activities with my children, being able to go to church...the list is endless."
    It is like you were in my head describing my life. It is comforting to know I am not alone. Keep on drawing and expressing how you are coping. It helps both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your struggle. I received so many messages of love for sharing my story. I hope it can inspire others to pick up a pen and keep going one stroke at a time.

      Delete
  3. waiting for him to jump in. When he went to jump, he got spooked as he felt the spring in the diving board. Panic sunk in, and attempts at encouraging him to jump in the pool didn’t work. He slowly made his way back off the diving board and said, “I just wasn’t brave enough.” Hangover depression

    ReplyDelete